Tuesday 27 December 2016

Art or science

Art or science 

Is architecture (or design, in general) an art or a science? I've had the feeling that this was a rather unproductive debate long before I came across the suggestion that both art and science are just two facets of the same human intellectual attempt at improvement, exploration and understanding (e.g. in Lisa Jardine's work) or unifying approaches to human cognition through viewpoints like information processing or problem solving (e.g. by Herbert Simon). My key problem with such lofty debates is that they are exactly sidetracking us from fundamental issues in our cognition and history towards superficial demarcations that simply confine our thinking within conventions and arbitrary goals. I'd rather spend my time trying to unravel the former issues than servicing supportive silos. One doesn't get thanks for doing so but the satisfaction that comes from even minor revelations can be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment