Tuesday 21 February 2017

What architects don't draw (and probably don't design either)

What architects don't draw (and probably don't design either) 

Sometimes an idea enters my head and refuses to leave, making me entertain it for longer than necessary, making me assume that one day I might spend time researching it. In the most cases, the fault isn't entirely mine: what I see around me reminds me of it and rekindles my interest and curiosity. One such idea is all the stuff one sees on the facades of buildings: pipes, cables, satellite dishes etc. It quite rare to see them in some order and correlation with the building itself. More often they are haphazardly superimposed and arbitrarily connected to it. It's obvious that the architects didn't include them in their specifications; architectural drawings anyway contain few if any indications of such matters. Architects are preoccupied with clever, pristine, impressive forms - and quite often they manage to produce them. What they may forget is that there are other things, too; that they have to find a place for these as well in their designs.

Through the years I have collected quite a few photographs on this subject; good and bad examples of what may be attached on a building. I even entertained the idea of writing a book about it but finding time to interview the architects of a number of these examples doesn't seem feasible. If I find the time I might put them up on the Internet, just like people do with photographs of the dishes they have eaten an provide some entertainment to architects and non-architects alike. My only regret is that I don't have enough photographs of Parisian hotel: long ago, when the world was more innocent, I managed to go through the gates of these urban mansions to look at the back side from the internal courtyards and study the differences. The number of exposed pipes amazed me: could the occupants of those expensive properties wash their faces or flush the toilet when it was freezing outside? I have been told that the problem exists. Unfortunately, I didn't think of taking photographs of what I saw and nowadays it's highly unlikely that the concierge would allow me access to the courtyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment